Friday, October 14, 2011

Despite the Hood


My neighborhood is an environment, where education is what you seek and crack is what you reap. I live on the borderline of west Oakland and north Oakland. The population is high scale with a lot of people who have been living in the community and a lot of new comers coming into the community. Most minority and low income. Public Assistance and social security is the income of most of the people in this community. I see a lot of environmental racism in West Oakland, On Mandela parkway there is a factory where cardboard boxes are being made for cereal ,now while your kids are getting up and ready for school eating there cereal, there inhaling the boxes being made for that cereal. This is not fair nor right to put a factory there because you know that the population in west Oakland is low income and can’t afford to live in middle class neighborhoods. I am who I am today despite me neighborhood.I  Am not a statics of the hood. I went to high school and graduated and am furthering my education. “This is the most rare saying in the ghetto”.From birth to now I lived in low income neighborhoods and have learned and witness it all with my two eyes, that the actions I see,I don’t want for me in my life.Iam glad I have lived in low income neighborhoods so that I can see the injustice government doing there cruel.From this I learned about instuition racism, environmental racism and gentrification. I will take this knowledge and apply to help my previous and present community To have justice and safe living for the future. Am glad for this experience of living in a neighborhood ewhere I could witness bad and good actions for this is who I become despite my neighborhood Keren Osman.

No comments:

Post a Comment