Monday, December 5, 2011

Good and Bad jobs


I started working my sophomore year in high school and it was a great experience. My first job was working at cold stone creamery  and I loved it for several reasons. The number one being I got to eat as much ice cream as I wanted and I love making customers satisfied. I learned a lot of skills that will serve me well on internship such as my communicating, verbal, and listening skills. My co-workers made work a pleasant place to come to everyday, because if you weren’t having a good day they cared enough to change that all the way around. I learned that the workplace can be a challenge and not everyone there will be fair but if you are true to yourself and seek help and ask your manager questions then you will get a lot further instead of staying on mute. My senior year in high school was a year of independent memories, by this time I’ve already had a few jobs and enough to collect work experience. I went on craigslist one day to look for internships for high school student with the search title being “Student Assistant, “well I  and cold and I landed the job perfect timing three months before high school graduation. I t was a funeral home in Berkeley California. I filed papers, made phone calls, and organized files. By far this was the worst job I’ve ever had because the energy in the building as really negative an d cold and I mean literally cold because on the bottom floor was the basement where the dead bodies were kept in a freezer. I didn’t want to go near that area but I had to a few times to get to the garbage and it was very uncomfortable. Although I didn’t like this job I learned a few skills such as, communicating with my boss and co-workers and how to be organized with my work and the people who would come in crying because they lost a loved one. I ended up resigning from this job because it made me miserable but I’m glad to say I’ve had the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment